In The News

 

13 Dead After Navy Yard Shooting in Washington DC

13 Dead After Navy Yard Shooting in Washington DC

A mass shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington DC left thirteen people dead.  The gunman, Aaron Alexis, is among the deceased.

Eight people were injured.

Police have identified all of the victims of Monday's fatal shooting at the Washington, D.C. Navy Yard.

 Victims

  • Arthur Daniels, 51
  • Mary Francis Knight, 51
  • Gerald L. Read, 58
  • Martin Bodrog, 54
  • Richard Michael Ridgell, 52
  • Michael Arnold, 59
  • Sylvia Frasier, 53
  • Kathy Gaarde, 62
  • John Roger Johnson, 73
  • Frank Kohler, 50
  • Kenneth Bernard Proctor, 46
  • Vishnu Pandit, 61
NBC Washington has compiled biographies.

The deceased gunman was 34-year-old Aaron Alexis.  NBC Washington reports that Alexis was identified by his fingerprints. (SEE PHOTO HERE)

Alexis was a civilian contractor and a former Navy reservist.  He was previously arrested twice for gun related incidents.  The gunman was staying in a DC hotel and apparently had "legitimate access" to the Navy Yard.

The FBI is taking the lead on the investigation.  If you have any information, please contact them at 1-800-CALL-FBI. That's 1-800-225-5321.

Earlier reports that claimed that there was a shooting at the Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling are false.

The United States Navy says that the shooter was inside the Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters, Building 197, at 8:20 am.  The command headquarters is the work place for about 3,000 people.

Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus said:

"I'm deeply shocked and saddened by the shooting this morning at the Navy Yard.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. I have complete confidence in our first responders, and I continue to be completely focused on this very difficult situation."

The White House issued this statement:

“The President has been briefed several times about the unfolding situation at the Washington Navy Yard by Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Lisa Monaco and Deputy Chief of Staff Alyssa Mastromanaco. The President directed his team to stay in touch with our federal partners, including the Navy and FBI, as well as the local officials.  We urge citizens to listen to the authorities and follow directions from the first responders on site.”

For more from NBC Washington, click here.

 

More Articles

 

93.1 WPOC is an iHeartRadio Station

© 2014 iHeartMedia, Inc.

*